Business Combinations / Purchase Price Allocation
Duff & Phelps’ expertise and independence have made us a leading provider of valuation services for business combinations.
Our professionals have an in-depth understanding of financial reporting valuation requirements pursuant to ASC 805, Business Combinations (ASC 805) and International Financial Reporting Standard 3: Business Combinations (IFRS 3), enabling us to offer practical insights into key issues of concern to clients, auditors and regulators.
ASC 805 and IFRS 3 are standards with a high degree of convergence, although certain differences between the two remain. Under both ASC 805 and IFRS 3, the purchase price of an acquisition is allocated to the identifiable assets acquired and liabilities assumed at fair value, with limited exceptions. The identifiable finite-lived assets are then depreciated/amortised over their remaining useful lives.
Duff & Phelps can help you address complex valuation issues arising in the context of ASC 805 and IFRS 3 throughout the transaction continuum, including:
- Pre-acquisition pricing analysis, including estimation of accretion/ dilution impact on earnings by providing preliminary values and economic lives for assets to be acquired.
- Valuation or structuring of contingent consideration with our team of specialists in our Strategic Value Advisory practice, and modeling potential future earnings impact.
- Valuation of contingent assets and liabilities.
- Pro forma allocations required for filings with the SEC and other regulators.
- Acquisition-date fair value measurement of the consideration transferred, any previously-held equity interests and any remaining noncontrolling interests.
- Acquisition-date fair value measurement and economic life analysis of acquired real estate, machinery and equipment, and identifiable intangible assets, including brands, technology, in-process research and development, and customer relationships.
- Fair value measurement of contract liabilities (a.k.a. deferred revenue) and other liabilities.
- Valuation of options to buy/sell equity interests.
- Valuation of derivatives and other financial instruments and their subsequent mark-to-market, when required.
- Allocation of purchase price and goodwill to reporting units (cash generating units).
- Legal entity valuations for tax purposes in connection with the business combination.
Business Valuation ServicesBusiness Valuation Services
Derivatives Valuation and Shares-Based CompensationDerivatives Valuation and Shares-Based Compensation
Fresh Start AccountingFresh Start Accounting
Goodwill and Intangible Asset ImpairmentGoodwill and Intangible Asset Impairment
Intellectual Property / Intangible Asset ValuationIntellectual Property / Intangible Asset Valuation
Machinery and Equipment ValuationMachinery and Equipment Valuation
Strategic Value AdvisoryStrategic Value Advisory
Tax ValuationTax Valuation
Valuation Services for SPACsValuation Services for SPACs
Lack of Standardized ESG Reporting System Biggest Threat to Effective ESG Disclosures
Stefanie Perrella Appointed Global Head of Transfer Pricing at Duff & Phelps, A Kroll Business
Brand Power, Endorsement Potential are Primary Drivers of Professional Golfers’ Future Career Value, Duff & Phelps Study Finds
Duff & Phelps Expands UK Transaction Advisory Services Practice with Appointment of Atul Agarwal as Managing Director